REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Pick-Up and Ramcharger
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and support the truck.
- Remove the skid plate, if equipped.
- Drain the transfer case by removing the bottom bolt from the front output rear cover.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable.
- Disconnect the front and rear output shafts. Suspend these from a convenient location; do not allow them to hang free.
- Disconnect the shift rods at the transfer case.
- Support the transfer case.
- Remove the adapter-to-transfer case mounting bolts and move the transfer case rearward to disengage the front input splines.
- Lower and remove the transfer case.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Adjust the linkage.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Remove the skid plates, if equipped. Drain the transfer case fluid.
- Disconnect the distance sensor, if equipped and disconnect the speedometer cable from the transfer case.
- Matchmark and remove the driveshafts.
- Disconnect the Power Take-Off (PTO), if equipped.
- Disconnect the linkage, electrical connectors and vacuum lines from the transfer case. Using a suitable jack, support the transfer case and remove the crossmember.
- Unbolt the transfer case from the transmission and slide it backward to remove it from the vehicle.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the transfer case to transmission case nuts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm). Fill the transfer case with ATF+3®II.