Coil packs are mounted above the right engine valve cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Mark and disconnect the spark plug leads at the coil packs. Disconnect the primary wiring at the connectors.
- Check resistance across each pair of spark plug (high tension) terminals: 3/2, 7/4, 1/6, 9/8, 5/10. Resistance should be 11-15 kilo-ohms.
- Check resistance across the (low tension) primary windings by connecting the ohmmeter between the B+ terminal and each of the coil terminals in turn. In each case, resistance should be 0.53-0.65 ohms.
- If resistance is not within specification, the coil pack will have to be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the battery negative cable.
- Tag each plug wire for location and disconnect the plug cables from the coil packs.
- Disconnect the primary wire harness connectors.
- Remove the four mounting bolts for each coil pack and remove the coil pack(s) from the engine.
- Note that primary wire connectors face downward.
- Mounting bolt torque is 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- When connecting primary wires, the four-wire connector goes to the front coil pack and the three-wire connector goes to the rear pack.
- Reconnect plug cable to the proper terminals as marked.