The fan is threaded onto the water pump shaft with a 36mm nut. To loosen the nut, the pump must be prevented from turning. This can be accomplished with a special tool or with a prybar.
Fan and fan shroud are removed together.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the battery negative cable(s).
- Disconnect the throttle cable is attached to the fan shroud.
- Remove the windshield washer bottle and coolant overflow tank from the fan shroud.
- Stop the water pump from turning with a special tool or prybar on the nuts. Loosen the fan nut (36mm). Turn CCW to loosen on gasoline engines; turn CW to loosen on diesel engines.
- Remove the fan shroud mounting hardware. These may be bolts, clips or a combination of the two, depending on model.
- Remove the fan and shroud together.
- To replace the fan or viscous drive, remove the four bolts and separate the components.
- If drive and fan were separated, tighten the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- The remainder of the installation procedure is the reverse of removal. The recommended fan nut torque (on diesel engines) is 42 ft. lbs. (57 Nm).
- If a new viscous drive has been fitted, start and run the engine at 2,000 rpm for about two minutes to distribute fluid within the drive.