REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the differential case from the axle housing.
- Clamp the differential case in a soft-jaw vise.
- Remove and discard the ring gear bolts.
- Tap the ring gear off with a rawhide or plastic mallet.
- Remove the exciter ring with a soft-faced hammer.
- Be sure to align the exciter ring tab with the slot in the differential case.
- Invert the differential case and start two ring gear bolts. This will provide case to ring gear bolt hole alignment.
- Press the exciter ring onto the differential case using the ring gear as a pilot.
Install new ring gear bolts and tighten in a cross pattern as follows:
For 8 1 / 4 in. axles, 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm)