Breakaway mounts are used with the inside rear view mirror. The breakaway mount is designed to detach from the mirror bracket in the event of an air bag deployment during a collision. Excessive force, up-and-down, or side-to-side movement can cause the mirror to detach from the windshield glass.
- Disconnect the mirror harness wiring, if so equipped.
- Loosen the mirror base setscrew. Slide the mirror up and off the bracket.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the setscrew to 9 inch lbs. (1 Nm).
REAR VIEW MIRROR SUPPORT BRACKET
- Disconnect the mirror wiring, if so equipped.
- Loosen the mirror assembly setscrew.
- Remove the mirror assembly by sliding it upward and away from the mounting bracket.
- If the bracket mounting pad remains on the windshield, apply low heat from an electric heat gun until the glue softens. Peel the mounting pad off the windshield and discard.
- Mark the mirror mounting bracket location on the outside surface of the windshield with a wax pencil.
- Clean the bracket contact area on the glass. Use a mild powdered cleanser on a cloth saturated with rubbing alcohol. Finally, clean the glass with a paper towel dampened with the alcohol.
- Sand the surface on a support bracket with fine grit sandpaper. Wipe the bracket surface clean with a paper towel.
- Crush the accelerator vial to saturate the felt applicator.
- Remove the paper sleeve.
- Apply the accelerator to the contact surface on the bracket.
- Allow the accelerator to dry for five minutes. Do NOT touch the bracket contact surface after the accelerator has been applied.
- Apply the adhesive accelerator to the bracket contact surface on the windshield glass. Allow it to dry for one minute. Do NOT touch the glass contact surface after the accelerator has been applied.
- Apply one drop of adhesive at the center of the bracket contact surface on the windshield glass.
- Apply an even coat of adhesive to the contact surface on the bracket.
- Align the bracket with the marked position on the windshield glass.
- Press and hold the bracket in place for at least one minute.
Verify that the mirror support bracket is correctly aligned because the adhesive will cure rapidly.
- Allow the adhesive to cure for about ten minutes. Remove any excess adhesive with an alcohol-dampened cloth.
- Allow the adhesive to cure for an additional ten minutes before installing the mirror.