REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the distributor cap retaining screws and spark plug wires from the cap. If there is no wire retainer, be sure to identify all wires before disconnecting them from the distributor cap. This will help preserve the proper firing order and greatly ease cap installation.
- On 2.5L engines, remove the distributor splash shield. Remove the cap screws.
- On V6 and V8 engines, unfasten the retaining clips or remove the screws and lift off the cap assembly.
- Scribe or paint a mark on the edge of the distributor housing to indicate the position of the rotor. This will serve as a reference upon reinstallation, if needed.
- Remove the rotor attaching screw(s), if equipped, or simply pull the rotor from the distributor.
- Install the rotor facing in the direction noted earlier, and then if applicable, secure the rotor using the attaching screw(s).
- Install the cap to the distributor assembly and secure using the cap retaining clips or screws.
- Install the spark plug wires and retainer to the cap. If no wire retainer is used, carefully connect the wires to the cap as tagged during removal.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Remove the distributor cap and wipe it clean with a dry lint-free cloth. Visually inspect the cap for cracks, carbon paths, broken towers, or damaged rotor buttons. Also check for white deposits on the inside (caused by condensation entering through cracks). Replace any cap that has charred or eroded terminals. The inside flat surface of a terminal end (faces toward the rotor) will indicate some evidence of erosion from normal operation. Examine the terminal ends for evidence of mechanical interference with the rotor tip.