REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
No unusual procedures are required. Note any sensor wiring and vacuum lines at the pump. Bracket design varies depending on model and equipment fitted and may require removal or adjacent components for access.
- Remove the pump drive belt.
- Place a drip pan beneath the power steering pump and disconnect the hoses. Cap the hose ends.
- Remove the power steering pressure switch connector and remove the pressure line from the bottom of the pump, if fitted. Remove the oil cooler mounting bolt from the pump bracket, if fitted.
- Remove the pump and/or bracket mounting bolts.
- Reverse the removal procedure. Observe torque specifications of all mounting hardware.
- Refill the reservoir with power steering fluid and carry out the "Initial Operation" procedure.
This procedure should be carried out whenever the power steering pump lines have been disconnected.
- Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left.
- Add fluid to bring the level up to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two minutes.
- Raise the front wheels off the ground.
- Slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock 20 times with the engine OFF.
- Start the engine. Check level and add fluid, if necessary.
- Lower the front wheels and let the engine idle for two minutes.
- Turn the steering wheel in both directions and verify power assist and quiet operation of the pump.
- If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand for a few minutes and repeat the procedure.