See Figures 1 and 2
The neutral safety switch is thread mounted into the transmission case. When the gearshift lever is placed in either the Park or Neutral position, a cam, which is attached to the transmission throttle lever inside the transmission, contact the neutral safety switch and provides a ground to complete the starter solenoid circuit.
The back-up light switch is incorporated into the neutral safety switch. The center terminal is for the neutral safety switch and the two outer terminals are for the back-up lamps.
There is no adjustment for the switch. If a malfunction occurs, the switch must be removed and replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 3
- Disconnect the electrical leads and unscrew the switch. Use a drain pan to catch the transmission fluid.
- Using a new seal, install the new switch and torque it to 24 ft. lbs.
- Pour four quarts of ATF+3® II fluid through the filler tube.
- Start the engine and idle it for at least 2 minutes.
- Set the parking brake and move the selector through each position, ending in Park.
- Add sufficient fluid to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. The level should be checked in Park, with the engine idling at normal operating temperature.