See Figure 1
When two or more driveshafts are used in tandem, a rubber-mounted center bearing supports the center portion of the drive line. The center bearing is mounted in rubber in a bracket which is bolted to the frame crossmember.
- Make parts for re-assembly and remove driveshafts as described earlier.
- Place the front shaft in a vise and pull the bearing support and insulator away from the bearing.
- Bend the slinger away from the bearing with a hammer to obtain clearance to install a bearing puller.
- Remove the bearing with a puller. Remove the slinger. Discard all parts. A replacement kit contains all necessary repair parts.
ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION
- Place the new slinger, bearing assembly and retainer on the driveshaft. Each part is a press fit.
- Use a strong tube or pipe which cleans the shaft spline. Press or drive the parts forward into position.
- Connect the two piece driveshaft and install the reverse order of removal.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4