REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
V6 and V8 Engines
- Disconnect the exhaust manifold at the flange where it mates to the exhaust pipe.
- If the vehicle is equipped with air injection and/or a carburetor-heated air stove, remove them.
- Remove the exhaust manifold by removing the securing bolts and washers. To reach these bolts, it may be necessary to jack the engine slightly off its front mounts. When the exhaust manifold is removed, sometimes the securing studs will screw out with the nuts. If this occurs, the studs must be replaced with the aid of sealing compound on the coarse thread ends. If this is not done, water leaks may develop at the studs.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. On the center branch of 318 and the 360 exhaust manifold, no conical washers are used.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold.
- Remove the exhaust manifold bridges and manifold hold-down bolts.
- Remove the manifold and gaskets.
- Inspect the manifold for cracks and heat damage. The gasket surfaces must be flat within 0.008".
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Check for leaks.