REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the timing gear cover, the gasket and the front seal. Remove the idler pulley bracket.
- Align the timing marks.
- Using a puller, remove the camshaft drive gear.
- Turn the injection pump to allow the notch in the drive gear to pass by the idler gear teeth.
- Loosen the idler gear mounting bolt. Remove the thrust plate and remove the idler gear.
- Using puller MH-061077, remove the idler shaft from the block.
- The idler gear is installed with a brass drift and soft hammer.
- Install the idler gear on the shaft so that the timing marks are aligned.
- Install the thrust plate and torque the bolt to 25 ft. lbs.
- Check the idler gear end-play at the thrust plate. End-play can be measured with a flat feeler gauge. End-play should be 0.05-0.15mm. If the end-play exceeds 0.35mm, you must replace the thrust plate.
- Check the idler gear backlash at the injection pump gear. Backlash should be 0.11-0.24mm. If the backlash exceeds 0.30mm, replace the idler gear.