REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
V6 and V8 Engines
- Drain the cooling system and disconnect the battery.
- Remove alternator, carburetor air cleaner and fuel line.
- Disconnect accelerator linkage.
- Remove vacuum hose between carburetor and distributor.
- Remove the distributor cap and wires.
- Disconnect coil wires, temperature sending unit wire, heater hoses and bypass hose.
- Remove intake manifold, ignition coil and carburetor as an assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of the above procedure. Tighten the intake manifold to head bolts in the sequence illustrated, from center alternating out.
- Tighten the exhaust manifold mounting nuts to the required torque which is listed in the specifications chart of this section.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect the fuel lines at the fuel filter, transfer pump and injection pump. See Fuel System .
- Drain the fuel filter and remove it from the back of the manifold. See General Information And Maintenance .
- Remove the manifold and air cleaner mounting bracket bolts.
- Disconnect the injection lines at the injection pump and remove the nozzle holder from the cylinder head. See Fuel System .
- Remove the fuel line clamps from the manifold and push the fuel lines up and out of the way.
- Remove the manifold and gaskets from the head.
- Install the manifold and new gaskets on the head.
- Install the fuel lines and clamps on the manifold.
- Connect the injection lines at the injection pump.
- Install the nozzle holder on the cylinder head. See Fuel System
- Install the manifold and air cleaner mounting bracket bolts.
- Install the fuel filter on the back of the manifold. See General Information & Maintenance .
- Connect the fuel lines at the fuel filter, transfer pump and injection pump. See Fuel System .
- Install the air cleaner.
- Connect the battery ground cable.
- Fill the cooling system.