REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the wiper arm and blade assemblies.
- Pry off the center bar retainer starting at one end.
- Pry up one end of the glass retainer and pull the retainer from around the weatherstripping.
- Have a helper stand outside the windshield and, working from the inside, push the windshield and weatherstripping outward, starting at the upper left corner, working across the top.
- Remove the weatherstripping from the glass.
- Clean the weatherstripping, glass and glass opening with solvent to remove all old sealer.
- Apply liquid butyl sealer in the glass channel of the weatherstripping and install the weatherstripping on the glass.
- Apply a bead of sealer to the opening flange and in the inner flange crevice of the weatherstripping lip.
- Apply soapy water to the weatherstripping lip.
- Have your assistant position the windshield assembly in the channel from the outside, applying firm inward pressure.
- From inside, you guide the lip of the weatherstripping into place using a wood or fiberglass spatula, until the window is locked in place.
- Install the glass retainer in the weatherstripping. You can push it into place with the spatula.
- Install the center bar retainer.
- Leak test the windshield.
- Cover the cowl to protect the paint.
- Remove the wiper arms.
- Remove the windshield retainer strip from the weatherstripping. To remove the strip, pry up one end and carefully pull it out. Later models have a bright cap over the retainer which must be pried out first.
- Have a helper support the windshield from the outside while you push one corner of the glass out of the weatherstripping.
- Once one corner is free, continue pushing [cf2]carefully around the glass until the entire windshield is free.
- The weatherstripping can then be removed from the frame. Replace any defective weatherstripping.
Use only mineral spirits as a lubricant when installing the windshield!
- Install the weatherstripping in the frame. Make sure it's completely seated.
- With your helper's assistance, slide one corner of the glass into the lower groove in the weatherstripping.
- Move the glass into the groove as far as possible.
- Using a fiberglass spatula, force the lip of the weatherstripping over the glass, working around the entire circumference.
- Starting at one of the lower corners, force the retaining strip into its groove in the weatherstripping. DON'T STRETCH THE STRIP WHEN INSTALLING IT!
- On later models, install the bright cap.
- Using a hose, water-test the windshield.
- Install the wiper arms.