REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands under the front ends of the frame rails.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the shock absorber and upper shock absorber bushing and sleeve.
- If equipped, remove the sway bar.
- Remove the lower control arm strut.
- Install a spring compressor and tighten finger-tight.
- Remove the cotter pins and ball joint nuts.
- Install a ball joint breaker tool and turn the threaded portion of the tool to lock it against the lower stud.
- Spread the tool to place the lower stud under pressure, then strike the steering knuckle sharply with a hammer to free the stud. Do not attempt to force the stud out of the steering knuckle with the tool.
- Remove the tool. Slowly release the spring compressor until all tension is relieved from the spring.
- Remove the spring compressor and spring.
- Position the spring on the control arm and install the compressor.
- Compress the spring until the ball joint is properly positioned.
- Install the ball joint nuts and tighten them to 135 ft. lbs. for 100 and 200 series; 175 ft. lbs. for 300 series.