REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap.
- Raise the vehicle on a lift. Pump all fuel from the tank into an approved holding tank, and raise the vehicle.
- Disconnect the fuel line and wire lead to the gauge unit. Remove the ground strap.
- Remove the vent hose shield and the hose clamps from the hoses running to the vapor vent tube.
- Remove the filler tube hose clamps and disconnect the hose from the tank.
- Place a transmission jack under the center of the tank and apply sufficient pressure to support the tank.
- Disconnect the two J-bolts and remove the retaining straps at the rear of the tank. Lower the tank from the vehicle. Feed the two vent tube hoses and filler tube vent hose through the grommets in the frame as the tank is being lowered. Remove the tank gauge unit.
- Inspect the fuel filter, and if it is clogged or damaged, replace it.
- Insert a new gasket in the recess of the fuel gauge and slide the gauge into the tank. Align the positioning tangs on the gauge with those on the tank. Install the lock ring and tighten securely.
- Position the tank on a transmission jack and hoist it into place, feeding the vent hoses through the grommets on the way up.
- Connect the J-bolts and retaining straps, and tighten to 40 in. lbs. Remove the jack.
- Connect the filler tube and all vent hoses.
- Connect the fuel supply line, ground strap, and gauge unit wire lead.
- Refill the tank and inspect it for leaks. Connect the battery ground cable.