IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT
See Figure 1
- Remove cover and basket from tachometer takeoff on right side of engine in front of oil filter assembly. Install mechanical tachometer adapter and attach mechanical tachometer and drive cable.
- Turn hand throttle counterclockwise and pull all the way out. Depress accelerator to floor and crank engine. Hold accelerator to floor after engine starts. Allow engine to warm up until some speed is attained (1,250-1,500 rpm). Release accelerator slowly until engine runs smoothly. When engine begins to warm, turn hand throttle clockwise to reduce engine speed to idle.
- Be sure that governor control lever is at idling position before attempting to adjust idle speed.
- Check tachometer. If idle speed is not between 600 and 700 rpm, adjust idle speed.
- Loosen idle adjusting screw locknut. Adjust screw as necessary to set idle to specifications. Turn adjusting screw IN to increase idle speed: OUT to decrease idle speed.
- When idle speed is as specified, tighten idle adjusting screw locknut. Recheck idle speed to be sure it has not shifted.
See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6