The A-230 is a three-speed transmission equipped with two synchronizer units to assist in the engagement of all forward gears. Lubricant capacity is 5 pints.
Shift Housing and Mechanism
See Figure 1
- Shift to second gear.
- Remove side cover. If shaft O-ring seals need replacement: Pull shift-forks out of shafts. Remove nuts and operating levers from shafts. Deburr shafts. Remove shafts.
- Remove pinion bearing retainer from front of transmission case. Pry off retainer oil seal.
- For clearance: With a brass drift, tap drive pinion as far forward as possible. Rotate cut away part of second gear next to countershaft gear. Shift second/third synchronizer sleeve forward.
- Remove speedometer pinion adapter retainer. Work adapter and pinion out of extension housing.
- Unbolt extension housing. Break housing loose with plastic hammer and carefully remove.
- Insert dummy shaft in case to push reverse idler shaft and key out of case.
- Remove dummy shaft and idler rollers.
- Remove both tanged idler gear thrust washers.
- Remove mainshaft assembly through rear of case.
- Using a mallet and dummy shaft, tap the countershaft rearward enough to remove key. Drive countershaft out of case, being careful not to drop the washers.
- Lower countershaft gear to bottom of case.
- Remove snapring from pinion bearing outer race (outside front of case).
- Drive pinion shaft into case with plastic hammer. Remove assembly through rear of case.
- If bearing is to be replaced, remove snapring and press off bearing.
- Lift counter shaft gear and dummy shaft out through rear of case.
- Remove snapring from front end of mainshaft along with second gear stop ring and second gear.
- Spread snapring in mainshaft bearing retainer. Slide retainer back off the bearing race.
- Remove snapring at rear of mainshaft. Support front side of reverse gear. Press bearing off mainshaft.
- Remove from press. Remove mainshaft bearing and reverse gear from shaft.
- Remove snapring and first-reverse synchronizer assembly from shaft. Remove stop ring and first gear rearward.
- Slide dummy shaft into countershaft gear.
- Slide one roller thrust washer over dummy shaft and into gear, followed by 22 greased rollers.
- Repeat Step 2, adding one roller thrust washer on end.
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3 at other end of countershaft gear. There is a total of 88 rollers and 6 thrust washers.
- Place greased front thrust washer on dummy shaft against gear with tangs forward.
- Grease rear thrust washer and stick it in place in the case, with tangs rearward. Place countershaft gear assembly in bottom of transmission case until drive pinion is installed.
See Figure 2
- Press new bearing on pinion shaft with snapring groove forward. Install new snapring.
- Install 15 rollers and retaining ring in drive pinion gear.
- Install drive pinion and bearing assembly into case.
- Position countershaft gear assembly by positioning it and thrust washers so countershaft can be tapped into position. Be careful to keep the countershaft against the dummy shaft to keep parts from falling between them. Install key in countershaft.
- Tap drive pinion forward for clearance.
See Figure 3
- Place a stop ring flat on the bench. Place a clutch gear and a sleeve on top. Drop the struts in their slots and insert a strut spring with the tang inside on strut. Turn the assembly over and install second strut spring, tang in a different strut.
- Slide first gear and stop ring over rear of mainshaft and against thrust flange between assembly over rear of mainshaft, first and second gears on shaft.
- Slide first/reverse synchronizer indexing hub slots to first gear stop ring lugs.
- Install first/reverse synchronizer clutch gear snapring on mainshaft.
- Slide reverse gear and mainshaft bearing on shaft, supporting inner race of bearing. Be sure snapring groove on outer race is forward.
- Install bearing retaining snapring on mainshaft. Slide snapring over the bearing and seat it in groove.
- Place second gear over front of mainshaft with thrust surface against flange.
- Install stop ring and second/third synchronizer assembly against second gear. Install second/third synchronizer clutch gear snapring on shaft.
- Move second/third synchronizer sleeve forward as far as possible. Install front stop ring inside sleeve with lugs indexed to struts.
- Rotate cut out on second gear toward countershaft gear for clearance.
- Insert mainshaft assembly into case. Tilt assembly to clear cluster gears and insert pilot rollers in drive pinion gear. If assembly is correct, the bearing retainer will bottom to the case without force. If not, check for a misplaced strut, pinion roller, or stop ring.
- Place dummy shaft into idler gear. Insert 22 greased rollers.
- Position reverse idler thrust washers in case with grease.
- Position idler gear and dummy shaft in case. Install idler shaft and key.
- Remove extension housing yoke seal. Drive bushing out from inside housing.
- Align oil hole in bushing with oil slot in housing. Drive bushing into place. Drive new seal into housing.
- Install extension housing and gasket to hold mainshaft and bearing retainer in place.
- Install outer snapring on drive pinion bearing. Tap assembly back until snapring contacts case.
- Using seal installer tool or equivalent, install a new seal in retainer bore.
- Position main drive pinion bearing retainer and gasket on front of case. Coat threads with sealing compound, install bolts, torque to 30 ft. lbs.
- If removed, place two interlock levers in pivot pin with spring hangers offset toward each other, so that spring installs in a straight line. Place E-clip on pivot pin.
- Grease and install new O-ring seals on both shift shafts. Grease housing bores and insert shafts.
- Install spring on interlock lever hangers.
- Rotate each shift shaft fork bore to straight up position. Install shift forks through bores and under both interlock levers.
- Position second/third synchronizer sleeve to rear, in second gear position. Position first/reverse synchronizer sleeve to middle of travel, in neutral position. Place shift forks in the same positions.
- Install gasket and gearshift mechanism. The bolt with the extra long shoulder must be installed at the center rear of the case. Torque bolts to 15 ft. lbs.
- Install speedometer drive pinion gear and adapter. Range number on adapter, which represents the number of teeth on the gear, should be in 6 o'clock position.