When working around any part of the fuel system, take precautionary steps to prevent possible fire and/or explosion:
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal, except when testing with battery voltage is required.
- Whenever possible, use a flashlight instead of a drop light to inspect fuel system components or connections.
- Keep all open flames and smoking material out of the area and make sure there is adequate ventilation to remove fuel vapors.
- Use a clean shop cloth to catch fuel when opening a fuel system. Dispose of gasoline-soaked rags properly.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure before any service procedures are attempted that require disconnecting a fuel line.
- Use eye protection.
- Always keep a dry chemical (class B) fire extinguisher near the area.
Many procedures may require new seals or gaskets for assembly. Read through the procedure first to ensure that you have all of the necessary components.