SINGLE PICKUP DISTRIBUTOR
See Figure 1
- Raise the hood or engine compartment lid.
- Remove the distributor cap.
- Align one reluctor tooth with the pole piece pick-up coil. If the van is equipped with an automatic transmission, bump the starter motor using the key. If it is equipped with a manual transmission, place the van in 3rd or 4th gear and roll the van until the tooth is aligned.
- Loosen the pick-up adjusting screw and insert a 0.008" (0.006 for 1977 and later) in feeler gauge. The gauge should not fit into the gap. Do not try to force it in.
- Apply vacuum to the vacuum unit and crank the engine. The pick-up pole should not hit the reluctor teeth. If it does hit, readjust the gap. If it only hits on one side, the distributor shaft is probably bent and must be replaced.
- Install the distributor cap.
DUAL PICKUP DISTRIBUTOR
See Figure 2
In the dual pick-up distributor, the start pickup is identified by a two prong male connector. The run pickup is identified by a male and a female plug.
To adjust the air gap on the start pickup follow the procedure above for single pickup distributors.
- Align one reluctor tooth with the pickup coil tooth.
- Loosen the pickup coil hold-down screw.
- Insert a non-magnetic feeler gauge (0.012) between the reluctor tooth and the pickup coil tooth.
- Adjust the air gap so that the contact is made between the reluctor tooth, feeler gauge and pickup coil tooth.
- Tighten the hold-down screw.