MASTER CYLINDER BLEEDING
See Figure 1
This procedure can be performed with the master cylinder mounted in position on the vehicle. However, it is most commonly performed with the master cylinder mounted in a soft jawed vise.
- Attach bleeder tubes to the cylinder outlet ports and insert tubes into the reservoir compartments. The bleeder tubes may be made up from brake line equipped with the correct master cylinder end fitting.
- Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with clean, fresh brake fluid, meeting DOT 3 or DOT 4 specifications.
- If performing this procedure off the vehicle, insert a wooden dowel into the piston end of the cylinder. Otherwise, use the brake pedal to operate the master cylinder piston.
- Push the piston inward and release it. Continue this "pumping operation'' until no air bubbles are visible in the brake fluid.
- Correct the fluid level in the master cylinder as necessary.
- Remove the bleeder lines, install the reservoir caps and install the master cylinder.
BRAKE SYSTEM BLEEDING
See Figures 2, 3 and 4