REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Camshaft and Lifters
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Remove the valve covers.
- Remove and label the rocker arm shafts (if equipped) or rocker arms and pivots.
- Remove and label the pushrods.
Remove the lifters (tappets) as follows:
- Remove the yoke retainer and label the aligning yokes for each cylinder, keeping them in order to insure installation in their original locations.
- Slide a hydraulic valve tappet remover/installer into the bore and remove each lifter keeping them in order to insure the installation in their original locations.
- If the lifter or bore in the cylinder block is scored, ream the bore to the next oversize and replace with oversize lifters.
- Remove the timing gear cover, the camshaft and the crankshaft sprockets, and the timing chain.
- Remove the distributor and lift out the oil pump and distributor driveshaft.
- Remove the camshaft thrust plate (on 5.2L and 5.9L engines).
- Install a long bolt into the front of the camshaft and remove the camshaft, being careful not to damage the cam bearings with the cam lobes.
- See camshaft bearing information if replacing camshaft and bearings.
- Prior to installation, lubricate the camshaft lobes and bearings journals. It is recommended that 1 pt. of Crankcase Conditioner be added to the initial crankcase oil fill.
- Insert the camshaft into the engine block within 2 in. (51mm) of its final position in the block.
- Have an assistant support the camshaft with a suitable tool to prevent the camshaft from contacting the plug in the rear of the engine block.
- Position the suitable tool against the rear side of the cam gear and be careful not to damage the cam lobes.
- Replace the camshaft thrust plate. If camshaft end-play exceeds 0.010 in. (0.254mm), install a new thrust plate. It should be 0.002-0.006 in. (0.051-0.152mm) with the new plate.
- Install the timing chain and sprockets, timing gear cover, vibration damper, and pulley.
To install the lifters:
- Lubricate the lifters.
- Install the lifters in their original locations if installing the old ones.
- Insure that the oil feed hole in the side of the lifter faces up (away from the crankshaft).
- Install the yokes and yoke retainer. Tighten the bolts to 200 inch lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the pushrods, rocker arms and pivots or the rocker shafts (if equipped), and valve covers.