REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On some vehicles, it may be necessary to remove the air cleaner intake tube.
- Remove the upper fan shroud.
On vehicles with V-belts:
- Remove the water pump hub bolts.
- Remove the fan and viscous fan drive assembly from the vehicle.
On vehicles with a serpentine drive belt:
- Using a 36mm fan wrench or suitable tool, loosen the shaft on the viscous fan drive assembly while holding the water pump pulley bolts with a prybar or suitable tool to keep it from turning.
- Remove the fan and the viscous fan drive assembly from the vehicle.***WARNING***Do not place the viscous fan drive assembly in a horizontal position. If placed horizontally, the silicone fluid in the viscous drive could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate the bearing lubricant.
The viscous fan drive's hub shaft has RIGHT HAND threads. Turn counterclockwise to loosen.
- If replacing the fan blade assembly or viscous fan drive, remove the bolts attaching them. Install the new part and tighten the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the viscous fan drive assembly on the vehicle.
- Install the upper fan shroud.
- Install the air cleaner intake tube (if necessary).
- Connect the negative battery cable.