Front end noise, front wheel shimmy and difficult steering could be caused by a worn lower ball joint. Jack the vehicle up under the lower control arm. Position a suitable prybar under the tire and pry upward. Observe any free travel and determine what piece of the suspension has excessive play. Lateral movement in the ball joint should be no more than 0.020 in. (0.5mm).
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the lower control arm.
- Remove the ball joint seal.
- Using an arbor press and an appropriately sized driver, press the ball joint from the control arm.
- Press the new ball joint into the lower control arm.
- Ensure the ball joint is fully seated.
- Install a new ball joint seal.
- Install the lower control arm.