REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake calipers and suspend them out of the way.
Do not disconnect the brake lines.
- Remove the shock absorbers.
- Disconnect the sway bar, if equipped.
- Remove the lower control arm strut bar.
- Install an appropriate spring compressor following the manufacturer's instructions.
This will retain the spring in place until the lower control arm is disconnected and lowered for spring removal.
- Remove the ball joint nuts.
- Using ball joint separator, separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
- Slowly loosen the spring compressor until all tension is relieved from the coil.
- Remove the compressor and spring.
- Remove the lower control arm pivot bolts.
- Remove the lower control arm from the vehicle.
- Loosely attach the lower control arm to the crossmember. Hand-tighten the pivot bolts.
Tightening the pivot bolts to the specified torque at this point may damage the bushings once the vehicle returns to normal ride height. Only tighten pivot bolts to specification with the vehicle at normal ride height.
- Position the spring on the control arm and install the compressor.
- Compress the spring until the ball joint is properly positioned.
- Install the ball joint nuts and tighten them to 135 ft. lbs. (183 Nm) for 11 / 16 nuts, or 175 ft. lbs. (237 Nm) for 3 / 4 nuts. Install new cotter pins.
- Install the lower control arm strut bar.
- Connect the sway bar.
- Remove the spring compressor.
- Install the shock absorber.
- Install the brake caliper.
- Install the wheels
- Lower the vehicle.
- Tighten the lower control arm pivot bolts to 175 ft. lbs. (237 Nm) once the vehicle is at ride height.
CONTROL ARM BUSHING REPLACEMENT
- Remove the lower control arm, as previously detailed.
- Use an arbor press and an appropriate size sleeve (driver) to force out the old bushing.
- Use an arbor press and an appropriate size sleeve (driver) to install the new bushing. Make sure that the bushing is completely seated.
- Install the lower control arm, as previously detailed.