REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap.
- Pump all fuel from the tank into an approved holding tank.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the fuel line and wire lead to the gauge unit. Remove the ground strap.
- Remove the vent hose shield and the hose clamps from the hoses running to the vapor vent tube.
- Remove the filler tube hose clamps and disconnect the hose from the tank.
- Place a transmission jack or other proper support device under the center of the tank and apply sufficient pressure to support the tank.
- Disconnect the two J-bolts and remove the retaining straps at the rear of the tank. Lower the tank from the vehicle. Feed the two vent tube hoses and filler tube vent hose through the grommets in the frame as the tank is being lowered. Remove the tank gauge unit.
- Inspect the fuel pump filter (sock), and if it is clogged or damaged, replace it.
- Install fuel pump assembly.
- Position the tank on a transmission jack and hoist it into place, feeding the vent hoses through the grommets on the way up.
- Connect the J-bolts and retaining straps, and tighten to 40 inch lbs. Remove the jack.
- Connect the filler tube and all vent hoses.
- Connect the fuel supply line, ground strap, and gauge unit wire lead.
- Refill the tank and inspect it for leaks. Connect the battery ground cable.
- Reconnect the battery cable ground cable.