REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel tank filler cap.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel tank assembly.
- The fuel pressure regulator assembly is located on the top of the fuel pump assembly. It is not necessary to remove the fuel pump to remove the pressure regulator/filter assembly. Twist the regulator/filter assembly out of it's grommet on the fuel pump.
- Remove the snap ring that retains the convoluted tube to the filter/regulator. Slide the tube down the plastic fuel tube to access the fuel tube clamp.
- Gently cut the old fuel tube clamp off, taking care not to damage the fuel tube or drop the clamp inside the tank.
- Remove the fuel tube from the regulator/filter assembly by gently pulling downward.
- Remove the regulator/filter assembly from the fuel pump module.
- Install a new clamp over the plastic fuel tube.
- Install the regulator/filter assembly to the fuel tube. Rotate the regulator/filter until it is pointed in the 10 o'clock position.
- Tighten the clamp to fuel line using Hose Clamp Pliers C-4124 or equivalent.
- Slide the convoluted plastic tube up to the bottom of the regulator/filter and install the snap ring.
- Press the regulator/filter assembly into the rubber grommet making sure it is pointed in the 10 o'clock position.
- Install the fuel tank.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Install the fuel filler cap.