Refer to the preceding Fuel System Pressure testing procedure.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Remove the fuel tank.
- Remove the locknut and lift out the fuel pump module.
Perform the following if you need to remove the sending unit:
- Remove the sending unit attaching screws from the mounting bracket located on the drain tube.
- Label disconnect the wires from the sending unit and remove the sending unit. of the reservoir.
If you need to remove the in-tank filter (sock) perform the following:
- Pry the mounting tabs back and remove the in-tank fuel filter (sock).To install:
- If removed, press a new filter (sock) onto the pump.
- If removed connect the wires to the new sending unit, and install the sending unit onto the pump.
- Using a new gasket, position the fuel pump module into the tank.
- Position the locknut over the fuel pump module, and tighten the locknut.
- Install the fuel tank.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.