REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22
- Raise and safely support the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Ensure that the transmission is in Neutral.
- Remove wheels.
- Remove brake drums.
- Clean all foreign material from housing cover area.
- Loosen all housing cover bolts, and remove all but two bolts on the top and two on the bottom.
- Use a prybar to pry the cover loose from the axle.
- Allow the gear oil to drain from the housing and axle shaft tubes.
- Remove the axle housing cover.
- Rotate the differential case so that the pinion mate gear shaft lock screw is accessible. Remove the lock screw and pinion mate gear shaft from the differential case.
- Remove the axle shaft.
- Remove the axle shaft seal from the end of the axle tube with a small prybar.
The seal and bearing can be removed at the same time with the bearing removal tool.
- Remove the axle shaft bearing from the axle tube using an appropriate puller.
Always install a new axle bearing seal.
- Wipe the axle tube bore clean. Remove any old sealer or burrs from the tube.
- Install the axle shaft bearing. Ensure that the bearing part number is facing outward. Verify that the bearing is installed straight and flush with the axle tube when fully seated.
- Inspect axle shaft seal for leakage or damage
- Inspect roller bearing contact surface on axle shaft for signs of brinelling, galling and pitting. If any of these conditions exist, the axle shaft and/or bearing and seal must be replaced.
- Lubricate bearing bore and seal lip with gear lubricant. Insert axle shaft through seal, bearing, and engage it into side gear splines.
Use care to prevent shaft splines from damaging axle shaft seal lip.
- Insert C-clip lock in end of axle shaft.
- Push axle shaft outward to seat C-clip lock in side gear.
- Insert pinion mate shaft into the differential case and through the thrust washers and pinion gears.
- Align the hole in the shaft with the hole in the differential case, and install the lock screw with Loctite on the threads. Tighten the lock screw to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install cover and fill the differential with gear oil.
- Install the brake drum.
- Install the wheel and tire
- Lower the vehicle.