REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Raise the van and support the rear with jackstands under the frame.
Ensure the front wheels are chocked and that the parking brake is set.
- The rear wheels should now be touching the floor, with all the weight off of the springs.
- Remove the nuts, lockwashers and U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs.
- Remove the front pivot bolts.
- Remove the rear shackle bolt nuts and the rear shackle plate.
- Remove the front shackle bolt nuts and the rear shackle plate.
- Remove the spring.
- Position the spring in place and install the eye bolt and nut. Ensure that the rear spring eye is located above the shackle bracket pivot bolt.
- Install the shackles and bolts. Tighten them just enough to make them snug.
Do not final-tighten any of the shackle bolts until the vehicle is at ride height.
- Make sure that the spring center bolt enters the locating hole in the axle pad. On headless-type spring bolts, install the bolts with the lock groove lined up with the lock bolt hole in the bracket. Install the lock bolt and tighten the lock bolt nut. Install the lubrication fittings.
- Install the U-bolts, lockwashers and nuts. Make them just snug for now. Align the auxiliary spring parallel with the main spring.
- Lower the vehicle to its normal position with the weight back on the springs. Now tighten all bolts and nuts as follows: