REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Position the front wheel in the straight ahead position.
- Place a drain pan under the gear.
- Disconnect and cap the fluid hoses from the steering gear.
- Matchmark the coupler for installation reference.
- Remove the coupler retaining bolts and disconnect the coupler from the steering gear.
- Matchmark the Pitman shaft and Pitman arm for installation reference.
- Remove the Pitman arm from the shaft, using a Pitman arm puller.
- Remove the gear-to-frame mounting bolts and remove the gear.
- Position the gear and tighten the gear-to-frame mounting bolts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).
- Align the coupler and install new retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Align and install the Pitman arm on the shaft. Tighten the retaining nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm).
- Connect the fluid hoses to the steering gear.
- Fill the steering gear with fresh power steering fluid.