REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 14
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly and bracket.
- Unfasten the retainers, then separate the exhaust pipe from the manifold. If Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) equipped, discard the manifold-to-flex joint gasket.
- Unbolt the power steering pump reservoir and position it aside. Do NOT disconnect the fluid lines.
- Unfasten the retainers, then remove the exhaust manifold heat shield.
- For 1996-99 vehicles, detach the upstream heated oxygen sensor connector.
It may be necessary to loosen the alternator bracket bolt to remove the outer exhaust manifold bolt.
- Remove the 8 exhaust manifold retaining fasteners, then remove the exhaust manifold and gasket.
- Discard the gasket, then thoroughly clean the mating surfaces.
- Position a new gasket and the exhaust manifold it their proper positions. Apply Mopar stud and bearing mount, or equivalent, to the fasteners. Install the fasteners and tighten to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm), starting at the center and working outward in both directions. Repeat this procedure until all fasteners are tightened to specifications.
- If loosened, tighten the alternator bracket bolt.
- Install the exhaust manifold heat shield.
- Place the power steering pump reservoir in position and secure with the mounting bolts.
- If necessary, attach the upstream heated oxygen sensor.
- Install the air cleaner bracket and assembly.
- If Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) equipped, replace the manifold-to-flex fold gasket.
- Attach the exhaust pipe to the manifold and tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.