REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
This procedure applies to SOHC engines only. On DOHC engines, the valves are actuated directly by the camshafts.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the cylinder head cover, as outlined earlier in this section.
Make sure to note the installed positions of the rocker arm shaft assemblies before removal.
- Loosen the rocker arm shaft attaching fasteners.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft assembly from the cylinder head.
- If necessary, disassemble the rocker arm assemblies by removing the attaching bolts from the shaft.
- Slide the rocker arms and spacers off the shaft. Make sure to keep the spacers and rocker arms in their original locations for installation.
- Inspect the rocker arm for scoring, wear on the roller or damage to the rocker arm and replace if necessary. Check the location where the rocker arms mount to the shafts for war or damage. Replace if damaged or worn. The rocker arm shaft is hollow and is used a lubrication oil duct. Check the oil holes for clogs with a small piece of wire, and clean as required. Lubricate the rocker arms and spacers. Make sure to install in their original locations.
- Set the crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the mark on the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off to 3 notches before TDC, as shown in the accompanying figure.
- Install the rocker arm/hydraulic lash adjuster assembly making sure that the adjusters are at least partially full of oil. This is indicated by little or no plunger travel when the lash adjuster is depressed. If there is excessive plunger travel, place the rocker arm assembly into clean engine oil and pump the plunger until the lash adjuster travel is taken up. If travel is not reduced, replace the assembly. The hydraulic lash adjuster and rocker arm are serviced as an assembly.
- Install the rocker arm and shaft assemblies with the NOTCH in the rocker arm shafts pointing up and toward the timing belt side of the engine. Install the retainers in their original positions on the exhaust and intake shafts.
- Tighten the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (23 Nm) for 1551 vehicles or to 21 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) in the sequence shown in the accompanying figure.
- Install the rocker arm (valve) cover, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable.