When adding fluid or making a complete fluid change, always use Mopar® Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. NEVER use automatic transmission fluid. Failure to use the proper fluid may cause hose and seal damage and fluid leaks.
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Park the vehicle on a level surface with the engine at normal operating temperatures, then turn the engine OFF and remove the ignition key.
- Use a rag to clean all the dirt and oil residue from the power steering pump reservoir cap/dipstick.
- Remove the reservoir cap/dipstick and wipe off the fluid.
- Install the cap/dipstick, making sure it is properly seated.
- Unscrew the cap again, then check the fluid level holding the cap above the tip of the dipstick. If the level is below the COLD mark or below the ADD mark on the dipstick, add fluid until the level reaches the full level. Be careful not to overfill as this will cause fluid loss and seal damage. A large loss in the system may indicate a problem. This should be inspected and repaired at once.