REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9
- With the vehicle on the ground, loosen the wheel lug nuts.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- If both strut assemblies are being removed, mark each one right or left, as applicable.
- Remove the hydraulic brake hose routing bracket and attaching screw from the strut damper bracket. If equipped with ABS, the hydraulic hose routing bracket is combined with the speed sensor cable routing bracket.
The steering knuckle-to-strut assembly attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during removal. Remove the nuts while holding the bolts stationary in the steering knuckle.
- Hold the bolts in place, then remove the 2 nuts securing the strut to the steering knuckle.
- Remove the 3 nuts attaching the upper mount of the strut to the strut tower of the vehicle. If necessary, partially lower the vehicle for access to the upper mounting nuts.
- Carefully remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the strut assembly into the strut tower, aligning the 3 studs on the upper strut mount into the holes in the shock tower. Install the 3 upper strut mount retaining nut and washer assemblies. Tighten the 3 nuts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
The steering knuckle-to-strut assembly attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during installation. Install the nuts while holding the bolts stationary in the steering knuckle.
- Align the strut assembly with the steering knuckle. Position the arm of the steering knuckle into the strut assembly, aligning the strut assembly to the steering knuckle mounting holes. Install the 2 strut-to-steering knuckle bolts. The bolts should be installed with the nuts facing the front of the vehicle. Tighten both attaching bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (53 Nm), plus an additional 1 / 4 turn after the specified torque is met.
- Install the hydraulic brake hose routing bracket and attaching screw onto the strut damper bracket. If the vehicle has ABS, the hydraulic hose routing bracket is combined with the speed sensor cable routing bracket. Tighten the bracket attaching bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assembly, then tighten the lug nuts in sequence hand-tight.
- Carefully lower the vehicle then tighten the lug nuts, in sequence, to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
See Figures 10, 11, 12 and 13
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Clamp the strut in a suitable vise, in a vertical position. When clamping the strut in the vise, do not clamp the strut using the body of the strut, only by the strut clevis bracket, as shown in the accompanying figure.
- Mark the coil spring and strut assembly right or left, according to which side of the vehicle to strut was removed from, and which strut the coil spring was removed from.
- Carefully compress the strut assembly coil spring, using a suitable spring compressor tool.
- Install a suitable strut nut socket to or an open ended wrench on the strut shaft retaining nut. Then, install a 10mm socket on the hex end of the strut damper shaft. While holding the strut shaft from turning, remove the strut shaft retaining nut.
- Remove the strut assembly mount/isolator from the strut.
- Remove the upper spring seat, pivot bearing and dust shield as an assembly from the strut.
- Remove the jounce bumper from the shaft of the strut assembly.
- Remove the coil spring from the strut assembly. Mark left and right on the coil springs for their installation back on the correct side of the vehicle.
- Inspect the strut for any binding of the strut shaft over the full stroke of the shaft.
Inspect the strut mount and upper spring seat assembly for any of the following conditions:
Check the mount for cracks and distortion and the retaining studs for any sign of damage.
- Replace any components of the strut assembly found to be worn or defective during the inspection, before assembling the strut.
- Clamp the strut, in a vertical position, in a suitable vise. Only clamp the strut by the clevis bracket, NEVER by the body of the strut.
- Install the compressed coil spring onto the strut. The spring should be installed with the smaller coil down, so the spring properly seats on the strut.
- Install the jounce bumper on the strut shaft.
- Install the dust shield, pivot bearing and upper spring seat as an assembly on the strut.
- Position the upper spring seat alignment notch with the clevis bracket on the strut assembly.
- Install the strut mount on the strut assembly and the strut mount retaining nut on the shaft of the strut assembly.
- Install strut nut socket or an open end wrench on the strut shaft retaining nut. Then, install a 10mm socket through the center of the socket an