REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
The following procedure can be used to remove either the mode control or temperature control cable, as necessary.
Control cable replacement does not require instrument panel removal.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. You should wait a minimum of 2 minutes before proceeding to allow the SRS system capacitor ample time to discharge.
Remove the right side upper instrument panel bezel, as follows:
- Using a trim panel removal tool, carefully pry up on the top cover and cluster bezel to remove it.
- Open the ash tray.
- Use the trim panel removal tool to gently pry out on the center bezel, then remove the bezel.
- Unfasten the 6 retaining screws across the front part of the right upper trim panel. Then, pull the panel rearward to disengage the 3 locator pins and remove them.
Reach in a detach the wiring connector(s) from the rear window defogger and/or fog lamp switch(s), as necessary.
- Remove the center vent duct.
- Remove the upper defrost duct and inner defrost duct.
- Disconnect the cable from the heater unit, then detach the cable from the control panel.
- Remove the mode or temperature control cable from the vehicle, as applicable.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- After installation, make sure to adjust the cable, as outlined later in this section.
- Attach the cable to the actuator arm on the mode/temperature door and clip the back casing against the stop.
- Fasten the other end of the cable to the instrument panel control.
- Turn the mode or temperature knob, as applicable, completely counterclockwise.
- While holding the knob in the counterclockwise position, pull on the black casing of the cable. This will take up any free play in the cable and index the mode/temperature door to the knob.
- Snap the cable hold-down clip into position to secure the cable.
- If necessary, remount the control.