REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
In order to remove the heater core, you must first remove the HVAC unit housing, then disassemble the unit to remove the core.
- If equipped with A/C, have the A/C system discharged by a reputable automotive technician utilizing a recovery/recycling machine before detaching the A/C system. Refer to the A/C system precautions presented in General Information & Maintenance .
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this guide.
- Drain the cooling system into a suitable container, then disconnect the heater hoses from the dash panel. Plug the heater core outlets to prevent coolant from spilling during unit housing removal.
If equipped with A/C, perform the following:
- Remove the suction line from the expansion valve. Place a piece of tap over the open refrigerant line to prevent the system from being contaminated.
- Remove the expansion valve from the evaporator. Place a piece of tap over the open evaporator fitting to prevent dirt and/or moisture from entering the evaporator.
- Disconnect the rubber drain tube extension from the condensation drain tube.
- Remove the 3 retaining nuts located in the engine compartment on the dash panel.
- Unfasten the right side retaining screw.
- Remove the remaining nut located on the dash panel stud.
- Detach the blue 1-way connector from the plenum. The module wiring harness must be removed with the module.
- Remove the unit housing from the vehicle.
For right-hand drive vehicles, the unit housing does not separate. It is a one piece unit and must be replaced as an assembly.
- Remove the clips and screws that secure the air distribution module to the evaporator/blower module. Then, separate the 2 units.
- Remove the panel opening foam seal, demister opening foam seal, and heater core tube foam seals from the unit.
- Unfasten the retaining clips and screws that hold the upper and lower housings together.
- Place the unit in the upside down position, then separate the two halves of the module.
- Lift the heater core up and out of the case.
- Place the heater core in the case.
- Position the upper and lower halves of the module together, then secure with the retaining screws and clips.
- Install the heater core tube foam seals, demister opening foam seal and the panel opening foam seal into the unit.
- Position the air distribution module to the evaporator/blower module. Then, secure with the retaining screws and clips.
- Install the unit housing in the vehicle.
- Attach the blue 1-way connector to the plenum.
- Install the nut located on the dash panel stud and the right side retaining screw.
- Install the 3 retaining nuts to the dash panel in the engine compartment.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Instrument panel installation procedures can be found in Chassis Electrical of this guide.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Have the A/C system evacuated, recharged and leak tested by a reputable automotive technician utilizing a recovery/recycling apparatus.