REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Tie Rod Ends
See Figure 1
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the nut attaching the outer tie rod end to the steering knuckle. The nut is removed by holding the tie rod end stud with an 11 / 32 in. socket while loosening and removing the nut with a wrench.
- Separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle using side puller.
- Loosen the inner tie rod-to-outer tie rod jam nut. Thread the jam nut far enough up the inner tie rod to pull the collar away from the outer tie rod end.
- For 1998-99 vehicles, pull the collar off the end of the outer tie rod end.
- Remove the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod by unthreading it, counting the number of turns for proper installation.
- Install the jam nut on the inner tie rod end.
For 1995-97 vehicles, perform the following:
- Install the outer tie rod onto the inner tie rod.
Make sure the collar is installed on the inner tie rod with the flat end of the collar against the jam nut and the open end of the collar facing the outer tie rod end.
On 1998-99 vehicles, perform the following:
- Install the collar on the outer tie rod end.
- Position the collar around the end of the outer tie rod.
- Thread the jam nut down the inner tie rod far enough to hold the collar in place on the outer tie rod. Do NOT tighten the jam nut.
- Install the tie rod end into the steering knuckle. Start the tie rod end-to-steering knuckle attachment nut onto the stud of the tie rod end. While holding the stud of the tie rod end stationary, tighten the tie rod end-to-knuckle attaching nut. Then, using a crowfoot wrench and an 11 / 32 in. socket, tighten the tie rod end attaching nut to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
Before tightening the jam nut to the proper specification, check the orientation of the collar, if equipped, to be sure it is in the proper position to fit up against the outer tie rod end.
- Tighten the tie rod jam nut to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Take the vehicle to a reputable repair shop to have the toe checked, and adjusted if necessary.