REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Elevate and safely support the vehicle on stands. Make certain all four stands are securely placed on both the ground and the truck. The support must be extremely solid.
- Remove the filler neck cover or protective panel.
- Disconnect the filler neck at the body end.
- Detach the mud guards.
- Remove the skirt panels and their brackets.
- Label and disconnect the license plate and tail light wiring, then remove the wiring harness from the body.
- Loosen and remove the rear body mounting nuts; discard the nuts and use new ones at reassembly. Disassemble one mount at a time and pay great attention to the order and placement of washers, pads, spacers etc. They must be reassembled correctly.
- Either with the use of an overhead lift or several helpers, remove the cargo bed from the truck frame.
- When reinstalling, lift the bed into place and align the bolt holes. Assemble each mounting bolt with the proper hardware and install it properly. Leave each finger-tight so that the bed may be moved slightly if hole alignment is needed.
- Tighten each nut to 20-23 ft. lbs. (28-32 Nm). Resist the temptation to tighten these nuts to extremes; overtightening crushes the pads causing both excessive noise and reducing the natural motion of the bed.
- Plug the rear wiring harness connectors back together.
- Install the skirt panels and brackets.
- Install the filler neck and neck cover.
- Lower the Pick-up back to the ground.
- Test the license plate light and rear tail lights for operation.