REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
Tailgates should have 2 people to during removal and installation and prevent damage. Use old blankets, cloths or other padding to protect the painted surfaces.
- Remove the special bolts holding the safety wire on each side of the tailgate.
- Have a helper support the gate; remove the 4 bolts holding the hinge to the truck bed.
- Remove the tailgate.
- If the door handle needs replacement, remove the tailgate cover. Disconnect the outside handle from the remote control, then remove the outside handle. Next disconnect the lock rods from the remote control and remove the remote control. Unbolt the tailgate lock from the panel.
- Inspect the lock mechanism for wear and damage. Check to see if the lock mechanism operates smoothly.
- If the door handle was removed, apply chassis grease to the lock operating parts. Check the rod for proper connection. Adjust the outside handle play. to the standard value by means of the handle side joint. Play is 0.12-0.24 in. (3-6mm).
- After reinstalling the tailgate and securing the bolts, check the tailgate for correct alignment in the "normally open" and fully closed positions. Adjust the tailgate by loosening the hinge bolts if necessary. Retighten the bolts.
- Install the special bolts with the safety wires. Make certain the spacers and washers are correctly installed. Tighten the bolts.