Although they are Individual pieces, the diesel engine intake and exhaust manifolds share the same gasket. Whenever one is removed, the other must also be removed. The gasket must always be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Perform this work only on a cold engine. Make sure all surfaces are cool to the touch before beginning. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the turbocharger and remove the gasket. Remove the heat shield.
- Remove the bolts holding the inlet fitting to the inlet manifold. Loosen the hose clamps and remove the fitting; remove the rubber connecting hose.
- Loosen the hose clamps from the oil return line and remove it.
- Carefully disconnect the oil supply pipe from the top of the turbocharger.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the top of the wastegate actuator. Remove the wastegate actuator mounting bolts.
- Remove the bolts holding the turbocharger to the exhaust flange. Remove the turbocharger and discard the gasket.
- Immediately after removing the turbocharger, plug the intake and exhaust ports and the oil ports with clean, lint-free cloth rags or pieces of crumpled paper. The turbocharger MUST be protected from dirt and grit+ace the unit in a protected location away from the work area.
- Disconnect the intake manifold retaining bolts and remove the manifold.
- Disconnect the exhaust manifold retaining bolts and remove the manifold. Remove the gasket(s) and discard. Make certain the mating surfaces are completely free of gasket material.
- Install the new gasket and install the manifolds (exhaust first, then intake) into position.
- Start the retaining nuts and bolts by hand; tighten them to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm) working from the center to the ends.
- Remove the plugs from the turbocharger passages and install the turbocharger with a new gasket onto the exhaust manifold. Tighten the nuts evenly.
- Install the wastegate mounting bolts and tighten to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm). Reconnect the wastegate actuator vacuum hose.
- Connect the oil return line; make certain the clamp is secure.
- Pour clean engine oil into the oil supply port to pre-lubricate the turbocharger. Install the oil supply line and tighten it carefully.
- Install the rubber connecting hose on the inlet fitting. Use a new gasket and attach the inlet fitting to the intake manifold.
- Use a new gasket and install the exhaust pipe to the bottom of the turbocharger. Install the heat shield.
- Start the engine, listening carefully for any sign of unusual noise from either the manifolds or the turbocharger. Watch the oil pressure indicator for any sign of incorrect pressure.