See Figure 1
- Disconnect the wiring connector from the temperature sensor gauge unit inside the engine compartment.
- Ground, using a test lamp, to the front wiring harness connector.
- Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
- Check and be sure that the test lamp flashers and that the gauge's indicator moves.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
The engine coolant temperature sensors are all located on the intake manifold, except for the diesel engine (1983-85 models), which is located on the cylinder head. See the diagrams for the specific model location.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor.
- Unscrew the sensor from the intake manifold or cylinder head.
- Clean the sensor's threads to remove any corrosion, dirt or other contaminants.
- Apply a liquid sealant to the threads of the sensor and gently screw into its hole. Make sure not to crossthread the sensor.
- Tighten the sensor to the correct torque (see illustration) and refasten the sensor's wiring.
- Refill the cooling system as described in General Information And Maintenance .
- Reconnect the cable to the negative battery terminal.