Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- On the Getrag transaxle, align the machined side of the flywheel assembly, with the machined side of the cover.
- Install the clutch disc and the clutch cover.
Hand start the clutch cover to flywheel bolts, leaving the clutch cover loose enough to reposition for alignment.
Install the J 43482 in order to support the clutch cover to the flywheel assembly.
WARNINGUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Tighten the clutch cover to flywheel bolts in the sequence shown. Tighten the bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) for the MU3 transaxle or to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) for the Getrag transaxle (M86).
- Recheck each bolt torque using the tightening sequence.
Remove the J 43482.
NOTEExcessive amounts of lubricant on the input shaft splines may contaminate the clutch disc and cause clutch shudder.
- Lubricate the inside diameter of the bearing.
- Install the transaxle. Refer to Manual Transaxle Assembly removal and installation.
- Bleed the hydraulic system. Refer to Clutch, Hydraulic System Bleeding.
- Connect the negative battery cable.