- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the steering wheel to the straight ahead position and remove the key from the ignition.
- Turn the wheel counterclockwise in order to lock the steering column in place.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the front wheels.
WARNINGDo not rotate the intermediate shaft once separated from the gear. Possible damage or a malfunction could occur.
- Remove the steering gear to intermediate shaft pinch bolt and discard.
- Disconnect the intermediate shaft from the steering gear.
Remove both steering gear outer tie rod to knuckle nuts and discard the nuts.
WARNINGDo not attempt to separate the joint using a wedge type tool.
- Separate the outer tie rods from the steering knuckles.
- Remove the steering gear bolts.
- Remove the rear transaxle mount.
- Carefully remove the steering gear from the frame and the vehicle through the LH wheel opening.
- Install the steering gear to the frame through the LH wheel opening.
- Install the steering gear bolts. Tighten the bolts to 81 ft. lbs. (110 Nm).
- Install the rear transaxle mount. Tighten the rear transaxle mount to frame bolts. Tighten the bolts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Tighten the rear transaxle mount thru bolt. Tighten the thru bolt to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Connect the intermediate shaft to the steering gear.
- Install a new intermediate shaft pinch bolt. Tighten the bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the outer tie rods to the steering knuckles.
- Install new outer tie rod nuts. Tighten the bolts to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Install the front wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Adjust the toe if necessary.