Removal & Installation
- Remove the primary and secondary timing chains.
Remove the retaining bolt from the balance shaft thrust plate.
NOTEThe balance shaft and gear are serviced as an assembly. Do not attempt to remove the gear from the balance shaft.
- Using Balance Shaft Remover/Installer 8641 or equivalent, remove the balance shaft from the engine.
Coat balance shaft bearing journals with clean engine oil.
WARNINGThe balance shaft is heavy, and care should be used when installing shaft, so bearings are not damaged.
- Using Balance Shaft Remover/Installer 864 or equivalent, carefully install balance shaft into engine.
- Install balance shaft thrust plate retaining bolt finger tight. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Position the right side of the thrust plate with the right chain guide bolt, install bolt finger tight.
- Torque the thrust plate retaining bolt to 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm).
- Remove the chain guide bolt so that guide can be installed.
- Install the primary and secondary timing chains.