Removal & Installation
- With vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.
- Remove the front wheel.
Using the following procedure, remove the half shaft from the vehicle:
- Remove half shaft hub/bearing nut.
- Remove wheel speed sensor from hub/bearing.
- Remove brake calipers bolts and remove calipers from caliper adapters.
- Remove lower stabilizer link bolt from control arm.
- Remove outer tie rod end nuts and separate tie rods from knuckles with the proper tool.
- Remove upper ball joint nuts and separate ball joints from knuckles with the proper tool.
- Remove shock clevis bolt and nut from lower control arm
- Lean the knuckle out and push half shaft out of the hub/bearing.
- Pry half shafts from axle/axle tube with pry bar.
- Clean axle seal area.
- Remove snap ring and O-ring from the axle shaft.
Remove axle with Remover Tool 8420A and slide hammer.
- Remove the axle shaft tube seal with Seal Remover Tool 7794-A and a slide hammer.
- Install axle bearing remover tool C-4660-A into the axle bearing in the axle tube and tighten the remover nut.
Install the Bearing Receiver C-4660-A washer and nut on the remover. Tighten the nut and draw the bearing into the receiver.
- Install the axle bearing with Special Tool 5063 and Handle C-4171 or suitable installer tool.
- Lubricate bearing bore and seal lip with gear lubricant.
- Install axle shaft and engage shaft into side gear. Push firmly on axle shaft to engage snap ring.
Using the following procedure, install half shaft:
- Install half shaft on the axle and through the hub/bearing. Verify halfshaft has engaged.
- Install shock clevis on lower control arm and tighten nut to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm).
- Install upper control arm on knuckle. Torque to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Install tie rod end on knuckle. Torque to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install stabilizer link on lower control arm. Torque to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
- Install caliper on caliper adapter.
- Install wheel speed sensor on the hub/bearing.
- Install half shaft hub/bearing nut and tighten to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
- Check the differential fluid level and add fluid if necessary.
- Install skid plate, if necessary.
- Install the front wheel.
Lower the vehicle.