Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the brake caliper and rotor.
Disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle using Special Tool C-3894-A or equivalent.
Separate the lower ball joint from steering knuckle using Special Tool 8677.
- Remove the steering knuckle.
- If equipped with 4WD, remove the clevis bracket and move the halfshaft to the side and support it.
Press the lower ball joint from the lower control arm using Special Tools C-4212-F, C-4212-3 and 9654-3.
Extreme pressure lubrication must be used on the threaded portions of the tool. This will increase the longevity of the tool and insure proper operation during the removal and installation process.
- Install the ball joint into the control arm using Special Tools C-4212-F, 9654-1 and 9654-2.
- Stake the ball joint flange in four evenly spaced places around the ball joint flange, using a chisel and hammer.
- If equipped with 4WD, remove the support for the halfshaft and install into position.
- Install the steering knuckle.
- Install the tie rod end into the steering knuckle.
- Install and tighten the halfshaft nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm) (if equipped).
- Install the brake caliper and rotor.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Check the vehicle ride height
- Perform a wheel alignment.