Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
CAUTIONthe fuel system is under constant pressure even with engine off. Before servicing fuel rail, fuel system pressure must be released.
NOTEThe left and right fuel rails are replaced as an assembly. Do not attempt to separate rail halves at connector tube. Due to design of tube, it does not use any clamps. Never attempt to install a clamping device of any kind to tube. When removing fuel rail assembly for any reason, be careful not to bend or kink tube.
- Remove fuel tank filler tube cap.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air duct at throttle body air box.
- Remove the air box at throttle body.
- Disconnect the fuel line latch clip and fuel line at fuel rail. A special tool will be necessary for fuel line disconnection.
- Remove the necessary vacuum lines at throttle body.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors at all of the fuel injectors. Push red colored slider away from injector. While pushing slider, depress tab and remove connector from injector. The factory fuel injection wiring harness is numerically tagged (INJ 1, INJ 2, etc.) for injector position identification. If the harness is not tagged, be sure to note the wiring location before removal.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors at throttle body sensors.
- Remove the ignition coils.
- Remove the fuel rail mounting bolts.
- Gently rock and pull left side of fuel rail until fuel injectors just start to clear machined holes in cylinder head. Gently rock and pull right side of rail until injectors just start to clear cylinder head holes. Repeat this procedure (left/right) until all injectors have cleared cylinder head holes.
- Remove fuel rail (with injectors attached) from engine.
Disconnect the clip that holds the fuel injector and remove the fuel injectors from the fuel rail.
- Clean out fuel injector machined bores in intake manifold.
- Apply a small amount of engine oil to each fuel injector O-ring. This will help in fuel rail installation.
- Install the fuel injectors to the fuel rail.
- Position the fuel rail/fuel injector assembly to machined injector openings in cylinder head.
- Guide each injector into cylinder head. Be careful not to tear injector O-rings.
- Push right side of fuel rail down until fuel injectors have bottomed on cylinder head shoulder. Push left fuel rail down until injectors have bottomed on cylinder head shoulder.
- Install the fuel rail mounting bolts and tighten to 100 inch lbs. (11 Nm)
- Install the ignition coils.
- Connect the electrical connectors to throttle body.
- Connect the electrical connectors at all fuel injectors. Push connector onto injector and then push and lock red colored slider. Verify connector is locked to injector by lightly tugging on connector.
- Connect the necessary vacuum lines to throttle body.
- Connect fuel line latch clip and fuel line to fuel rail.
- Install air box to throttle body.
- Install air duct to air box.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start engine and check for leaks.