Parking brake adjustment is controlled by an automatic cable tensioner and does not require adjustment. The only adjustment that may be necessary would be to the park brake shoes if they are worn.
Removal & Installation
- Remove and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
Remove caliper mounting bolts to remove the caliper assembly.
WARNINGSupport the brake caliper with mechanics wire. Do not let the caliper hang by the brake hose.
- Remove the rubber access plug from the back of the disc brake support plate.
If it is necessary to retract the parking brake shoes, use a suitable brake adjuster tool. Position the tool at the top of the star wheel and rotate the wheel.
- Remove the rotor from the wheel hub.
- Remove the axle shaft from the rear differential.
- Remove the shoe to shoe return spring with needle nose pliers & then remove the adjuster.
- Remove the shoe to shoe return spring with brake pliers.
Remove the shoe hold-down clips and pins. The clips are held in place by a pin which fits in clip notch. Remove the clips as follows:
- Push clip ends together and slide clip until head of pin clears narrow part of notch.
- Remove the clip and pin.
Remove the shoes off the actuator lever for the park brake then remove the shoes.
- Install the park brake shoes onto the actuator lever.
- Install shoes on support plate with hold down clips and pins. Be sure shoes are properly engaged in the park brake actuator lever.
- Install the return spring.
- Lubricate and install adjuster screw assembly. Be sure notched ends of screw assembly are properly seated on shoes and that star wheel is aligned with access hole in the support plate.
- Install shoe to shoe adjuster spring. Needle nose pliers can be used to connect spring to each shoe.
- install the rear axle shaft.
- Install the brake rotor.
- Install the brake caliper and tighten the mounting bolts to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Install the rear wheel.
Adjust the parking brake shoes as follows:
- Ensure parking brake lever is fully released.
- Raise the vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
- Remove the plug from each access hole in brake support plates.
- Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
- Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel.
- Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
- Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
- Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
- Repeat the adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
- Install support plate access hole plugs.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Depress park brake lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
- Release park brake lever.