The fluid level should be checked with the engine off to prevent injury from any moving components.
Use Mopar® Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill.
- Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal ambient temperature.
- Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two minutes.
- Start the engine and let run for a few seconds then turn engine off.
- Add fluid as necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
- Raise the front wheels off the ground.
- Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops at least 20 times.
- Check the fluid level add if necessary.
- Lower the vehicle, start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
Stop the engine and check the fluid level and refill as required.
CAUTIONDo not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.
- If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure.