If installing a new air conditioning compressor due to an internal failure of the old unit, you must carry out the following procedures to remove contamination from the air conditioning system.
If A/C flushing equipment is available, carry out flushing of the air conditioning system prior to installing a new air conditioning compressor.If A/C flushing equipment is not available, carry out filtering of the air conditioning system after a new air conditioning compressor has been installed.Install a new evaporator core orifice as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.Install a new suction accumulator as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.
Installation of a new suction accumulator is not required when repairing the air conditioning system except when there is physical evidence of system contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the suction accumulator.
- Remove the radiator upper sight shield.
- If flushing of the air conditioning system has not been performed, recover the refrigerant, as outlined in this section.
- Remove the drive belt from the A/C clutch pulley.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Remove the radiator air deflector, as follows:
- Remove the pin-type retainers.
- Remove the screws and remove the radiator air deflector.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the A/C pressure transducer.
Loosen the bolt and remove the A/C manifold and tube.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the bolts and the A/C compressor.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Observe the following tightening specifications:
- A/C compressor mounting bolts: 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- A/C manifold and tube: 14-17 ft. lbs. (18-24 Nm).
- If filtering of the refrigerant system is not to be performed, lubricate the new A/C compressor with the correct amount of PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R134a Systems) or equivalent.
- Lubricate the new A/C manifold O-ring seals with PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R134a Systems) or equivalent.
- If filtering of the refrigerant system is not to be performed, evacuate, charge and leak test the refrigerant system, as outlined in this section.